Monday, April 5, 2010

Upholstery Project #1

Last summer I thought it would be fun to start refinishing old furniture. So I enrolled in an upholstery class at CCA. Then I bought this lovely (40's-era?) chair at a thrift store for $20, covered in this amazingly hideous 70's fabric and screaming for me to rescue it. All I needed was fabric. I fell in love with a gorgeous mohair the color of the ocean on a foggy day. Was beyond excited to start working on it.

Five weeks of blood, sweat, and tears later, and being reminded repeatedly that i was a masochist for choosing such a difficult piece to work on, it was left unfinished and banished to my closet for 9 months. Recently I was able to resurrect and finish this baby thanks to my local upholsterer who was kind enough to let me use his workshop and teach me some skills. Here it is undergoing surgery...
After this experience I have a newfound appreciation for the art of furniture making. It takes an incredible amount of skill and patience to create something that is functional yet well designed and crafted. Those exquisite little details produce a feeling you certainly don't get from mass produced Ikea crap.
And here it is! finally finished and looking hot in my bedroom.. I still haven't sat in it. I just stare at its beauty and think about how well it ties the room together.